Friday, October 31, 2008

The Ethics of Blog Monitoring

In the corporate world blog monitoring is becoming a more and more popular means of conducting primary research. Unlike focus groups or one-on-one interviews, the blogosphere is seen as an uninhibited universe where consumers discuss anything and everything without the influence of researchers or other respondents. And it makes total sense – consumers are literally living out part of their lives online. We certainly cannot ignore what they are doing there. Furthermore, it is proven that what people say about products, service and brands has significant impact on buyer behavior. How many times have you researched a product online before buying it?

Having done blog monitoring first hand, I know that the insights that emerge are rich and valuable. But as an anthropologist, ethics have been engrained into my brain. I can’t think of a single graduate course I took that didn’t spend a significant portion of the time discussing the ethics of conducting anthropological research. I committed to being candid about who I am and why I’m conducting research. Also, I promised to reciprocate for the things that I learned. And finally, I pledged to make my findings open to the public for the greater good of the communities I study. But there are some major conflicts here. How does this translate to the online space, where the identity of myself and those I study are often anonymous? This is further complicated by the fact that as the employee of a corporation, my findings are more often than not proprietary.

I’ll admit, that while I made these promises and I’ve certainly pondered the ethics of this type of research I don’t have all the answers. I’d like to think that the work I do studying the blogosphere in the end is for the greater good, rather than an attempt to sell people more things and services they don’t need. Often my findings identify need gaps and concerns that consumers have, allowing my clients to address them. But what would consumers say if they knew that their blog was being monitored. Would they change what they wrote?

I wonder who’s looking at my blog right now…?

3 comments:

Sid Banerjee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sid Banerjee said...

Just found your blog. Good stuff.
I don't generally see a problem with anonymously mining blog posts as long as you're trying to determine a trend, or a pattern of behavior for a group vs.trying to get inside the head of just one person.

There is a grey area when you mine posts from people talking about health, drug safety, side effects, etc associated with healthcare blogs, however. You can preserve posters' anonymity if you're just looking for trends in a group's use of drugs, or treatments. But what is your obligation if you discover a danger to people? To keep people safe? Point the poster to medical advice? Alert the fda of a safety issue? The answer is morally yes but if you work for a drug company and the safety issue for drug in question is your own, you may encounter a conflict.

There can be tricky issues...

- Sid

DASKMA said...

I'm looking at your blog right now...and its great!

Hope you are well and thriving. We are loving our time at the Rome Center and wishing we could stay on for a second year.

Ciao,

Kathleen (Adams)